Sustainable Land Use
We have been working to develop this land in the heart of Phoenix since June 2015. We are a temporary infill development/adaptive reuse project that has a positive impact on the community. We work to be responsible stewards of the land by creating value, we do this by creating multiple positive benefits such as:
- Developing a community space that acts as a green space and contributes to the aesthetics of the neighborhood
- Acting as a community space where Phoenicians can learn about various topics such as agriculture, soil management, horticulture, and the culinary arts
- Interim land use that is a positive use of vacant land, and can be moved to another area when necessary. We can be seen as a ‘pop-up community garden’.
- We do not compete directly with other community gardens, nurseries, or farms. We view our-selves as being complementary to the existing community gardens (e.g. Phoenix Renews) and nurseries in the area as we fulfill the need in our neighborhood for a community space
- Considering our desert climate and water availability, we try to be as ‘water wise’ with our irrigation and have implemented drip irrigation in our fields
We have enhanced our community in a positive way by beautifying an other wise vacant and unkempt property along the most important arterial Road in Downtown Phoenix (Central Avenue).